Having a hobby that you enjoy, brings you joy and enriches your life. It gives you something fun to do during your relax time and gives you the opportunity to learn new skills. Let’s face it there are so many different options out there today, in fact entire websites devoted to hobbies and interests, so there’s no excuse not to be able to find your “thing”.
The best way to find your “thing”, as a client of mine once said, is to try something new. There are so many options of “things” to choose from. Your interests and hobbies may vary over your lifetime as your age and stage determine different interests. What may have been a great hobby at 25 is now not so appealing at 55. Once you find a hobby that you truly enjoy and are passionate about, you become hooked. It becomes part of your life and becomes meaningful in a very personal way.
There are many reasons why everybody should have at least one hobby, and some key advantages:
- It makes you more interesting. People who have hobbies have experiences and stories that they can share with others. They also have specialised knowledge that they can teach to anyone who also has an interest in the same topics as they do.
- It helps to relieve stress by keeping you engaged in something you enjoy. Hobbies give you a way to take your mind off the stresses of everyday life. They let you relax and seek pleasure in activities that aren’t associated with work, chores or other responsibilities.
- Hobbies help you become more patient. In order to develop a new hobby, you have to learn how to do something that is brand new to you. The odds are there will be a learning curve, and you will need to be patient in order to build your skills.
- Having a hobby can help your social life and create a bond with others. A hobby is something that you can frequently enjoy with other people. Whether you join a club, play in a league, or just gift others with the fruits of your labour, a hobby is a great way to meet and get closer to people who have the same interests as you do.
- It increases your confidence and self-esteem. The odds are that if you really enjoy an activity, you are usually pretty good at it. Any activity that you can excel in is an opportunity for you to build your confidence and develop pride in your accomplishments.
- Hobbies help reduce or eradicate boredom. They give you something to do when you find yourself with nothing to fill your time. They also give you an activity that you can look forward to and get excited about.
- It increases your knowledge. Along with building new skills, you will also gain new knowledge through the development of your hobby.
- It enriches your life and gives you a different perspective on things. No matter what type of hobby you choose, you will definitely be exposed to new ideas. Hobbies help you grow in various ways, including exposing you to new opinions and to new ways to look at life.
- It challenges you. When you pick a new hobby, you will be involved in activities that are novel and challenging. If you don’t find your hobby challenging, then you also won’t find it engaging, and it will be less enjoyable. That means you need to find a better hobby.
- It helps prevent bad habits and wasting time. If you have good hobbies to fill up your free time, then you will be less likely to spend that time on wasteful or negative activities.
So if you don’t have a hobby (and please don’t tell me, like one client did, that shopping was a hobby 🙂 then go and have fun discovering yours.
Don’t wait till you are retired because you’ll have time – make the time now and enrich your life earlier! My hobbies have changed my life in a positive way and provided me with a lot of joy.